One of my daycare moms found a lovely doll crib at a garage sale this summer. She bought it and of course washed the bedding before she let her daughter play with it. Much to her horror the crib mattress cover shredded in the wash! :o( So she brought it to me to see if I could rescue it.
The former mattress consisted of two layers of poly batting covered with pink satin. It was the satin that came apart at the seams. It was a mess let me tell ya! All I could salvage was a piece that I used as part of the top on the new mattress.
I didn't want to mess with the old batting so I went to the upholstery shop and purchased a piece of 2" thick foam remnant for $3. Add some pink broadcloth and a little time and voila! A new crib mattress that looks better than the original I bet. :o)
The little daycare girl has been waiting for hmmm ....at least 3 weeks for me to finish this. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she comes back from school tomorrow!